Yesterday I was ready to install my free copy of Windows 10 that Microsoft has been promoting for a while; so I decided to start my Windows 8.1 Partition on my MacBook Pro.
When the desktop showed up I received a Pop-up Windows saying “Reserve your copy now”, so I clicked “Reserve” and waited a while. After there were no signs of Updates I decided to use the “Force Update Trick”, so I opened my Command Terminal (A.K.A.: CMD) and typed “wuauclt.exe /updatenow”, and guess what?….. It worked….. well for a while.
Windows 10 began to download, but at the end the Installation failed; after a couple of Failed Attempts I gave up and looked up for another solution.
While googling and browsing the internet I came up with a “Windows 10 Download Page” directly from Microsoft; there I could select the OS version and architecture I wanted, I selected the x64 Version, the file was downloaded, and by the time I selected “Upgrade to Windows 10” I got an error again; this time Windows only told me “Something Happened”.
Well after struggling with all these errors I decided to give Windows 10 another shot and I opted to crate a USB stick with the installation files so I could happily enjoy Windows 10.
Here are the steps in order to create a Windows 10 USB Boot Drive:
- First make sure you have an original copy of any version of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Also in order to install via Bootable USB Drive you’ll obviously need a USB Thumb Drive with a capacity of at least 4 GB (If you have a USB 3.0 Thumb Drive and your PC supports USB 3.0, I highly recommend using it.)
*Note: The USB Thumb drive will be formatted, so be sure you back up your Drive´s Data. Also if you are running an Enterprise version of Windows you’ll not be able to upgrade your OS.
- Visit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and select the architecture you are currently running: either 64 or 32 bits.
- Once the file has downloaded, open it and click “Create installation Media for another PC”
- Plug your USB Stick into your PC.
- You’ll be asked to Select the Language and Version of Windows you want to install. Use the following list in order to determine which version of Windows corresponds you!
(THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP!!! IF YOU DON’T CHOOSE THE CORRECT VERSION YOU WILL END UP LOSING YOUR LICENSE KEY AND THEREFORE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UPGRADE FOR FREE!!! ALSO FAILURE OF CHOOSING THE SAME LANGUAGE YOUR CURRENT VERSION OF WINDOWS IS RUNNING WILL END UP WITH NOT BEING ABLE TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT INSTALLED SOFTWARE AND LOSING YOUR CONFIGURATION)
- Click “USB Flash Drive” and select the Drive you previously inserted from the List.
- Windows will start downloading and data will be mounted into your USB Drive. Wait for the process to complete. (It might take some minutes)
- Open the content created on your USB Drive, and double-click: “Setup.exe”
- Follow the instructions on the Setup Wizard. (YOU´ LL BE ASKED: “WHAT TO KEEP”; NEVER SELECT “NOTHING” AS YOU´ LL LOSE YOUR “LICENSE” AND THEREFORE YOULL NOT BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 FOR FREE!!)
There you are! You have successfully installed Windows 10!
Stay tuned on the Geek Dragon for more information about Windows 10. If you have any comments, questions, problems, or suggestions, please let us know in the comment section!!!